You are here: PAGenWeb > Clearfield > Sticks of History

 

Clearfield County PAGenWeb Project

Sticks of History



geoatk   

 

Inscription: 1820 Atcheson settled in Susquehanna's West Branch, upstream from this point. 1845 he built 2 large houses connected at different levels, secreting an area to hide slaves. Spiriting slaves from the Mason Dixon Line to Canada became a dangerous endeavor after the 1850 Fugitive Slave Law. c1856 he aided the Free Sailors to make Kansas a Free State.
Location. 40° 48.533′ N, 78° 47.099′ W. Marker is in Burnside, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 219) and First Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Photo: submitted on August 6, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



warsheph  

 

Inscription: Shepherd fought in the Spanish-American War at El Caney, Cuba with Company D, 7th U.S. Infantry. He was awarded the Medal of Honor on July 1, 1898. Superior officers repeatedly cited him for bravery above and beyond the call of duty. Born in Bullsburg (Cherry Tree), September 28, 1871, he attended the Pine Grove School across the street. He was born and raised a short distance just up Sylvis Road. After the war he moved to California and started his own business and was very successful. He died there April 24, 1942. He served his generation in his time because of his love for his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Location. 40° 44.295′ N, 78° 47.575′ W. Marker is near Cherry Tree, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Patchin Highway (U.S. 219) 0.1 miles north of Sylvis Road, on the right when traveling south.
Photo: submitted on May 2, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



bighou

 

Inscription: This property was deeded in 1825 by Abraham Witmer to A.B. Reed, a descendent of an early Clearfield settler, making it one of the county's earliest recorded property transactions. According to an early map of the borough, the lot was owned by William Bigler who served as governor of Pennsylvania 1852-1855, and US senator 1856-1861, to date, the only Clearfield County resident to serve as governor of Pennsylvania. The present building was constructed in the 1880s by Governor Bigler's son William Dock Bigler.
Location. 41° 1.469′ N, 78° 26.357′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. The house is now the Clearfield County Historical Society.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



chinkal

 

Inscription: Name of the Indian village located here, and visited by C.F. Post while traveling to an Indian council at Kuskuski in 1758. The later Clearfield is said to get its name from clearings made by grazing bison along nearby creeks.
Location. 41° 0.275′ N, 78° 27.36′ W. Marker is near Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of South 2nd Street and Clearfield-Shawville Highway (Pennsylvania Route 879), on the right when traveling north on South 2nd Street.
Photo: submitted on September 27, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



civwar

 

Inscription: Recruitment officer Col. Cyrus Butler was shot and killed by local draft resister Joseph Lounsberry in October 1864 just west of this location. Afterwards, the government sent troops to the county and arrested over 150 men. This included the Bloody Knox incident when another soldier and deserter were killed.
Location. 41° 3.159′ N, 78° 25.67′ W. Marker is near Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Goshen Road and Pifer Road, on the right when traveling south on Goshen Road.
Photo: submitted on August 5, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



clearco

 

Inscription Formed March 26, 1804 out of Huntingdon and Lycoming counties. Clear fields, found by early travelers, gave rise to the name. County was important for logging and rafting on the West Branch, 1850-1901. The county seat, Clearfield, was incorporated 1840.
Location. 41° 1.472′ N, 78° 26.377′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street (Pennsylvania Route 153) and East Pine Street, on the left when traveling south on Front Street. Located at the Clearfield County Historical Society.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



cocourt

 

Inscription: Clearfield County, formed March 26, 1804, was named for the clear fields found by early travelers. The first courthouse, in use for 46 years, was built circa 1814. The cornerstone for the second present courthouse was laid June 04, 1860, and finished in 1862 during the Civil War. It was constructed on the same site using materials from the first courthouse. As the oldest public building in Clearfield and the center of all county government business, it is an important historic structure.
Location. 41° 1.33′ N, 78° 26.274′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of East Market Street and Second Street (Pennsylvania Route 153), on the right when traveling west on East Market Street.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



jail

 

Inscription: The first county jail, c1820-1841 was a log structure, one of the oldest buildings in town. The jail is contained in the dwelling at 105 S. Second St. The second jail, 1841-1872, was a stone structure built on Market St., directly behind the courthouse. The county's first hanging occurred there. The third jail, a large, walled, stone prison, was built at the north end of Second St., 1872-1983.
Location. 41° 1.231′ N, 78° 26.294′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on South Second Street (Pennsylvania Route 153) 0.1 miles north of East Walnut Street, on the left when traveling north.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



dogden

 

Inscription: A Revolutionary War Lieutenant from New York State, Daniel Ogden came to the Indian village of Chinklacamoose and its clear fields in 1797. He made friends with the Indians who helped him build a house near where Ogden Avenue now intersects Second Street. Daniel and his wife H. Eleanor Schoutien were the parents of nine children. Their descendants live in Clearfield and throughout the United States. Historian Thomas Lincoln Wall wrote: "Daniel Ogden was far and away the most valuable one to come to the county prior to 1800." Daniel Ogden is recognized as the first white settler in Clearfield.
Location. 41° 0.977′ N, 78° 26.343′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Ogden Avenue and South Second Street (Pennsylvania Route 153), on the right when traveling Daniel Ogden Marker image. By Mike Wintermantel, August 4, 2017 2. Daniel Ogden Marker west on Ogden Avenue.



dimebridg

 

Inscription: An Indian path, the 1796 State Road and the Erie Pike crossed Clearfield Creek here. Nearby, Ardery's Sawmill and Elder's Woolen Mill were among the first in the county. In 1857, armed rafters drove floaters of logs from the creek. Rafting continued until 1895. The Clearfield Bridge Post Office (est. 1824) served the area. C. 1903 the Clearfield Southern RR established Dimeling Station, named for an area lumbering family.
Location. 40° 58.284′ N, 78° 24.425′ W. Marker is near Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Erie Pike and Diamond Lane, on the right when traveling east on Old Erie Pike.
Photo: submitted on August 5, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



frand ind

 

Inscription: In 1756 a British exploratory force led by Captain John Hambright ventured up the West Branch of the Susquehanna River to Chinkalamoose near this site. They were on a mission to search for French forces and their Indian allies who were raiding British settlements to the East. This British force found only the abandoned, burned village, whereupon they returned east to Fort Augusta.
Location. 41° 1.753′ N, 78° 24.583′ W. Marker is near Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Clearfield Shawville Highway (Pennsylvania Route 879) and Wolf Run Road, on the right when traveling east on Clearfield Shawville Highway.
Photo: submitted on August 6, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



hillceme

 

Inscription: Founded in 1881 it is the burial place of Gov. William Bigler, banker Ai F. Boynton, Dr. Dorothea McClure Gilmore, State Treasurer F.G. Harris, Hon. James Kerr, first county resident elected judge David Krebs, last WWI vet Alfred Livergood, Alfred M. Liveright, Esq., Thomas Holt Murray, Esq., Senator William Wallace and businessmen Porter Zentmyer and A.W. Lee. First burial, Dr. Henry Shope.
Location. 41° 1.496′ N, 78° 25.877′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker can be reached from Cemetery Road. Marker is located in Hillcrest Cemetery, just inside the main gate.
Photo: submitted on August 7, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



indmill

 

Inscription: Native Americans grew corn (maize) for a food source. Planted in hills, not rows, the cobs were square, not rounded. They had two rows of corn on each flat surface. Planted when the dogwood bloomed they dropped a fish in each hole with four grains-one for the jay, one for the crow one to rot and one to grow. Maize was ground into flour by hand in rock mills such as this one here on Roaring Run, located near the convergence of several Indian paths.
Location. 41° 0.586′ N, 78° 23.249′ W. Marker is near Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Clearfield Woodland Highway (U.S. 322) and Indian Mill Lane, on the right when traveling west on Clearfield Woodland Highway.
Photo: submitted on April 29, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



kurbros

 

Inscription: In 1894, Chas. T. Kurtz (1874-1956) started Kurtz Bros. He bought this site, the former Clearfield Fire Brick Co., in 1910 for his school supply and printing business. Headquartered in Clearfield, the company greatly expanded and has operated more than 100 years under the Kurtz family. It is known across the U.S. The Kurtz family philanthropy in the community has continued through the years.
Location. 41° 1.596′ N, 78° 26.145′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Bigler Avenue and Bridge Street.
Photo: submitted on August 26, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



kurbuild

 

Inscription: This site and the adjacent building was the first permanent location of Kurtz Bros. and Kurtz Stationery Store, founded in 1894 by Chas. T. Kurtz. The building was designed in 1901 by Washington, D.C. Architect Louis Frederick Stutz.
Location. 41° 1.385′ N, 78° 26.292′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Street (Pennsylvania Route 153) and East Locust Street, on the left when traveling north on Second Street.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



kurfield

 

Inscription: Clearfield Little League Baseball was chartered and first played on this field in 1949. On December 3, 1952, Chas. T. Kurtz, Kurtz Bros. and the Kurtz family gave this field to the Clearfield Little League Baseball Association for a permanent home for Clearfield Little League Baseball.
Location. 41° 0.964′ N, 78° 26.596′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of West Second Street and Patterson Street, on the left when traveling south on West Second Street.
Photo: submitted on August 7, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



murhouse

 

Inscription: The adjacent house, built in 1880, was the home of Thomas H. Murray (1845-1916) and his wife Jennie Reighard (1847-1907). Mr. Murray was a well known lawyer, public speaker and churchman who did much to establish land and title work throughout Pennsylvania and the Nation. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Location. 41° 1.19′ N, 78° 26.275′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of South Second Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 153) and East Walnut Street on South Second Avenue.
Photo:submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



presbychur

 

Inscription: This is the site of the first wooden Presbyterian Church in Clearfield, built in 1841 during the pastorate of Rev. Frederick Gregory Betts. Rev. Betts was a noted "circuit riding" preacher who traveled the country and was well known in central Pennsylvania for his sermons on temperance. The present church was completed in 1869.
Location. 41° 1.455′ N, 78° 26.28′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 153) and East Pine Street, on the right when traveling north on Second Avenue.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



senbetts

 

Inscription: Former site of the home of Senator Betts (1870-1946) and his wife, Isabella Holt Murray, (1875-1939). Senator Betts served in the State Senate from 1923-1926. He and his father, William W. Betts, were one of the first fathers and sons from the same town to serve in the Pennsylvania State Senate.
Location. 41° 1.152′ N, 78° 26.37′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of South Front Street (Pennsylvania Route 153) and Walnut Street, on the left when traveling south on South Front Street. Located behind St. Francis Roman Catholic Church.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



wibetts

 

Inscription: This site was the home of Senator Betts (1838-1896) and his wife Margaret Irvin, (1839-1910) of Curwensville. Senator Betts was the son of Rev. Frederick Gregory Betts. He and his son, William Irvin Betts, were one of the first fathers and sons from the same town to serve in the Pennsylvania State Senate. Senator Betts served from 1887-1809.
Location. 41° 1.389′ N, 78° 26.276′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Street (Pennsylvania Route 153) and East Locust Street, on the right when traveling north on Second Street.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



wmbig

 

Inscription: State Senator, 1841-1847; Governor of Pennsylvania, 1852-1855; and U.S. Senator, 1856-1861. Opposed slavery; favored a Southern compromise to avoid the Civil War. His brother, John, was elected Governor of California, 1852. Resided here.
Location. 41° 1.354′ N, 78° 26.28′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



zenleo

 

Inscription: Clearfield native and fur trader, Leonard was second in command of the Joseph Reddeford Walker Expedition from 1831-1834 to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Leonard served as the expedition's clerk and chronicler, recording the first non-native American encounter of giant sequoia trees. In 1839 Leonard published his account of the expedition, recognized for its detailed descriptions.
Location. 41° 1.242′ N, 78° 24.71′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Daisy Street (U.S. 322) 0.1 miles east of Leonard Street, on the right when traveling west.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



coalpt

 

Inscription: The Reilly Post Office served the area until 1883 when the borough was incorporated and the name changed. Growth came with the arrival of the Bell's Gap Railroad in 1883 which opened the area to coal mining. The once bustling town had theatres, sawmills, hotels, and opera house, a newspaper, company stores and a tipple downtown. On August 15, 1928 an explosion in Blain City killed 13 miners.
Location. 40° 44.853′ N, 78° 32.091′ W. Marker is in Coalport, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 53) and Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



bicenraft

 

Inscription: On March 13, 2004 an authentic timber raft 28 ft. x 110 ft. launched from this point for a 26-mile journey through the county to below Shawville. The raft, including a cabin, was built by over 100 volunteers using logs supplied by Robbins Lumber, Olanta. Richard Hughes and Gary Gilmore piloted raft.
Location. 40° 58.465′ N, 78° 31.168′ W. Marker is in Curwensville, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Bloomington Avenue and Stadium Drive, on the right when traveling west on Bloomington Avenue.
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



arnawr

 

Inscription: While working for the Clearfield Cheese Co. on nearby Meadow St., he invented the first commercially successful process for individually wrapped cheese slices. A patent was issued in 1956. An engineer, Nawrocki secured eleven food processing patents over his career.
Location. 40° 58.527′ N, 78° 31.554′ W. Marker is in Curwensville, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street (Pennsylvania Route 879) and Filbert Street (Pennsylvania Route 453), on the right when traveling east on State Street.
Photo: submitted on September 27, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



curdam

 

Inscription: Begun in 1962 as one of four dams built to protect the West Branch Basin from flooding, it was completed November 1965. Unlike the devastating floods in 1889 & 1936, Pennsylvania's worst flood in 1972 was less severe in Clearfield County. The unprotected North Branch saw 40-foot flooding.
Location. 40° 57.354′ N, 78° 31.206′ W. Marker is near Curwensville, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Curwensville Tyrone Highway (Pennsylvania Route 453) 0.2 miles south of Peoples Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located at the entrance to the Dam.
Photo: submitted on August 5, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



hogbridg

 

Inscription: A single-span Pennsylvania (Petit) through truss bridge crossed the West Branch of the Susquehanna River here from 1893 to 1989. Replacing a wooden structure destroyed by fire, it took its name from nearby geographic features. This 215 foot pin-connected steel bridge was built by the King Bridge Company, with stone abutments by J.A. Dunkle.
Location. 40° 58.429′ N, 78° 29.467′ W. Marker is near Curwensville, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Old Erie Pike half a mile east of Clearfield Curwensville Highway (Pennsylvania Route 879), on the right when traveling east.
Photo: submitted on August 7, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



mccemet

 

Inscription: Revolutionary Soldiers Arthur Bell John Bell William Bloom Sr. James McCracken Thomas McClure Mark Jordan Nicholas Straw
Location. 40° 57.355′ N, 78° 32.614′ W. Marker is near Curwensville, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker can be reached from McClure Cemetery Road 0.3 miles north of Lumber City Highway (Pennsylvania Route 969).
Photo: submitted on August 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



firchur

 

Inscription: 1809 The first church in Clearfield County was erected here. 1823 The Pike Presbyterian congregation was organized. 1843 The congregation removed to Curwensville and was known thereafter as the Curwensville Presbyterian Church.
Location. 40° 57.363′ N, 78° 32.608′ W. Marker is near Curwensville, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker can be reached from McClure Cemetery Road 0.3 miles north of Lumber City Highway (Pennsylvania Route 969). Located in McClure Cemetery.
Photo: submitted on August 6, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



dubois

 

Inscription: In 1872 John DuBois came to the area and set up sawmills. They employed hundreds of men, sawed billions of board feet of lumber and operated until 1904. DuBois was incorporated in 1881; in 1916 it became the county's only city. When the railroads came in 1874, coal mining began. Other major industries included ironworks, railroad car shops, tannery and brewery (1896-1972). In 1896 a mine explosion at this site killed 13 miners.
Location. 41° 7.253′ N, 78° 43.789′ W. Marker is in DuBois, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Shaffer Road 0.1 miles south of East DuBois Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 255), on the right when traveling north. Located at DuBois Mall parking lot.
Photo: submitted on January 17, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



frenville

 

Inscription: French immigrants settled the area in 1832. A pure strain of the French language was spoken here until the 1960's. Since St. Mary's Catholic Church was built in 1870, it has been the site of the annual Frenchville Picnic. The first white burial in the county (1771) was French seaman Tohas Auxe, who died enroute from Canada to New Orleans. The stone was discovered on a local farm in 1896.
Location. 41° 6.274′ N, 78° 13.156′ W. Marker is in Frenchville, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Frenchville Road and St. Mary's Lane, on the right when traveling west on Frenchville Road.
Photo: submitted on August 6, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



gramp

 

Inscription: Originally called Pennville, the Grampian Hills P.O. served the area (1833-1892) when it became Grampian. The first county rural mail delivery started here in 1900, carrier E.A. Spencer. In the 1820s Quaker pioneers built a log meeting house at the Friends Cemetery site. Grampian native Nora Waln (1895-1964), famous novelist and WWII correspondent, was named distinguished Daughter of PA.
Location. 40° 57.79′ N, 78° 36.635′ W. Marker is in Grampian, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of First Street (U.S. 219) and Penn Street on First Street.
Photo: submitted on August 7, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



minestrk

 

Inscription: In 1869, 1872 and 1875 the first major coal strikes spread to this area. In 1872 four men were shot at the Sterling RR Station. The strike started unionism in the county. The 1875 strike resulted in over 50 arrests for riot and conspiracy at Goss Run, Woodward Twp. Union leaders Xingo Parks' and John Siney's famous trial in Clearfield drew national attention. Local miners joined the Knights of Labor then the United Mine Workers.
Location. 40° 49.686′ N, 78° 20.51′ W. Marker is in Houtzdale, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Sterling Avenue 0.1 miles north of Spring Street (Pennsylvania Route 53), on the right when traveling south.
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



karfurn

 

Inscription: Near here stood the iron furnace erected 1817 by Peter Karthaus. Rebuilt 1836 by Peter Ritner and John Say, it became in 1839 one of the earliest to use coke in place of charcoal. Abandoned at the end of the same year.
Location. 41° 7.206′ N, 78° 7.09′ W. Marker is in Karthaus, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 879) and Reiter Street, on the right when traveling east on Market Street.
Photo: submitted on September 27, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



milland

 

Inscription: From the 1840's until c1912, thousands of county rafts floated billions of board feet of timber to sawmills in Lock Haven, Williamsport and Marietta. A ring rock where rafts moored is still located along the river at the site of Lewis Miller's Hotel (1869-1956). A ferry service ran here in the early 1900's. Across the river the Great Shamokin Indian Path crossed the Moshannon Creek.
Location. 41° 4.482′ N, 78° 5.88′ W. Marker is near Karthaus, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Tunnel Road 3.4 miles south of Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 879), on the right when traveling south. Marker is a long distance down Tunnel Road, please respect the privacy of the residents and obey the parking signs.
Photo: submitted on August 26, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



olstard

 

Inscription: The first road to the northwest frontier of Pennsylvania. Opened to the Allegheny River in 1804. In this section, it followed, generally, the course of the Chinklacamoose Path. During the War of 1812, troops under Major McClellan were transported over it to Erie. Highway crosses the route of old road at this point.
Location. 41° 5.338′ N, 78° 48.062′ W. Marker is near Luthersburg, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Twenty-eighth Division Highway (U.S. 322) and Thunderbird Road, on the right when traveling east on Twenty-eighth Division Highway.
Photo: submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



ricburf

 

Inscription: A famous portrait and scenic artist, Burfoot came to the US in the 1880's and Clearfield County in 1895. His home later in life was at this site with a studio in his yard. He also had studios in Pittsburgh, Washington and New York. His work is registered with the Smithsonian Institute. Burfoot did sitting portraits of county judges, senators, governors, cabinet officers and President McKinley.
Location. 41° 3.084′ N, 78° 42.529′ W. Marker is in Luthersburg, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Coal Hill Road (U.S. 219) 0.1 miles east of Bearfield Road, on the right when traveling east.
Photo: submitted on August 26, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



alexcem

 

Inscription: On July 1, 1784 Revolutionary War Soldier James Alexander (1726-1791) received a warrant for this ground. In 1809 his son William Brown Alexander (1782-1862) settled here, and the area became known as Alexander's Fording. His will, dated April 25, 1851, bequeathed section 8 as a public burial ground.
Location. 40° 49.979′ N, 78° 25.217′ W. Marker is near Madera, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker can be reached from Alexander Road (Local Route 557) 0.7 miles east of Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 53).
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



alexford

 

Inscription: On July 1, 1784 Revolutionary War Soldier James Alexander (1726-1791) received a warrant for 413 acres in Clearfield County. James served with Washington at Valley Forge during winter of 1777-78. In 1785 James and son Robert visited here. Four tracts were willed to sons William Brown, Hugh, Joseph and Reed. In 1809 William B. Alexander, ninth child of James, emigrated by Indian path across the Alleghenies to Clearfield Creek and settled here founding a new settlement known as Alexander's Fording. That land includes all of Madera.
Location. 40° 49.7′ N, 78° 26.133′ W. Marker is in Madera, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 53) and Banion Road (Pennsylvania Route 453).
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



lasraft

 

Inscription: From the 1840's until c1912, thousands of county rafts floated billions of board feet of timber to mills in Lock Haven, Williamsport and Marietta. On March 14, 1938, a reenactment "Last Raft" left a traditional assembly point at Charlie McGee's Landing near here, bound for Harrisburg. On March 20 the raft struck a Muncy bridge pier and 7 lives were lost including Raftsman Harry Conner.
Location. 40° 51.194′ N, 78° 46.597′ W. Marker is near Mahaffey, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Burnside McGee Highway (U.S. 219) and Fire Tower Road, on the right when traveling south on Burnside McGee Highway.
Photo: submitted on August 7, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



mcgebridg

 

Inscription: Only remaining covered bridge over any branch of the Susquehanna River. Thomas McGee built this single span Burr arch truss bridge in 1873 for $175 using hand hewed white pine timbers from the area. It was the last covered bridge built in Clearfield County. Thousands of rafts floated under bridge including the last raft in 1938. Listed on National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Renovated 1994 after collapse from snow damage.
Location. 40° 52.812′ N, 78° 45.933′ W. Marker is near Mahaffey, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Covered Bridge Road 0.1 miles south of Burnside McGee Highway (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling south.
Photo: submitted on August 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



revtoz

 

Inscription: One of the most significant evangelical Christian authors of the 20th century, Tozer was born a few miles south of here in LaJose (Newburg). A pastor with The Christian and Missionary Alliance and a nationally recognized theologian, lecturer and writer, he was the featured speaker here at the Mahaffey Camp Summer Bible Conference in the 1940s and 1950s. Over 3 million copies of his more than 40 books are in print throughout the world.
Location. 40° 53.553′ N, 78° 43.323′ W. Marker is near Mahaffey, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Mahaffey Grampian Highway (U.S. 219) and Appian Way, on the right when traveling west on Mahaffey Grampian Highway. Marker is located at the Mahaffey Camp Meeting Ground.
Photo: submitted on August 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



belldig

 

Inscription: From 1979-1985, Harry Matlack discovered 126 Late Woodland Indian graves with encampments dating from 1500 to 1650 at the old Grier Bell Farm near here. This site was a three-component village, home for at least three different groups, each building on the ruins was of the preceding one. The first white child born in the county, Grier Bell (1799-1882) is buried on the family farm at the dig site.
Location. 40° 53.683′ N, 78° 32.498′ W. Marker is in New Millport, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Douglas Road 0.1 miles south of Old Station Road, on the right when traveling south.
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



johsnyd

 

Inscription: A German native, Snyder came to PA in 1758; to this county c1820. Serving 6 years, he fought under George Washington and Gen. Wayne at Trenton, Brandywine, Germantown, Paoli and wintered at Valley Forge. He was a friend of Marquis de Lafayette and with him at the Yorktown surrender. In 1832 he traveled to France for Gen. Lamarque's funeral. Lafayette gave the eulogy. ("Les Miserables")
Location. 40° 49.587′ N, 78° 42.414′ W. Marker is in New Washington, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Front Street 0.2 miles north of Main St. and Glenn Road, on the right when traveling north.
Photo: submitted on May 11, 2013, by Allen D. Snyder of Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania.



bloknox

 

Inscription: On December 13, 1864, Co. C 16th VRC of the Union Army surrounded the Barnett log house at this site and requested the surrender of deserters and draft dodgers. Deserter Tom Adams fired and killed Union Soldier Edgar Reed of New Hampshire. Adams was killed by soldiers and is buried at St. Aloysius. Reed is buried in Philipsburg.
Location. 40° 53.469′ N, 78° 27.685′ W. Marker is in Olanta, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Curwensville Tyrone Highway (Pennsylvania Route 453) 0.1 miles west of Kellytown Road, on the right when traveling west. Located at the Bloody Knox Log Cabin site.
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



drariot

 

Inscription: The county draft roll of August of 1864 had over 500 names, and only 150 men answered the call. In June 1863 assistant marshal David Cathcart was shot in Knox Twp. by draft dodgers working as loggers. Homes were set fire in Graham Twp. by draft dodgers while deserters were looting throughout the county. Copperheads liberated arrested deserters in Troutville, and secret societies were formed to resist the draft and gather slaves. In October 1864 recruitment officer Col. Cyrus Butler was killed in Lawrence Twp., and provost marshal John McKiernan of Janesville resigned for fear of his life.
On December 13, 1864 Tom Adams' log house was surrounded by Capt. Southworth, who marched troops from Philipsburg. Shots were fired killing deserter Adams and federal soldier Edgar Reed in this yard. 18 men were arrested that night at this place, and within a month 150 more were incarcerated. Only New York City had more civil violence than Clearfield County during the war, which ended four months later.
Location. 40° 53.479′ N, 78° 27.688′ W. Marker is near Olanta, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Located at the Bloody Knox Cabin Site.
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



osce

 

Inscription: The first town in the county to receive a railroad in 1862 and the telephone in 1878. In 1874 Berwind-White, the 4th largest coal company in the world, was founded here. The 1875 fire made homeless over 1200 of 1500 residents. Birthplace of Publisher Horace Liveright in 1886. On the route of the Lakes to Sea Highway in 1923. Revolutionary War Patriot Elizabeth Goss is buried at Stumptown.
Location. 40° 51.095′ N, 78° 16.14′ W. Marker is in Osceola Mills, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Curtin Street and Lingle Street, on the right when traveling east on Curtin Street.
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



cahoyt

 

Inscription: She tended the troops in Lanesboro, Mass. during the war. After the war, she married Revolutionary War soldier Seth Hoyt and some years later they moved to New Haven, Vermont. After her husband's death, she came to Huston Township where her children had settled at an early date.
Location. 41° 12.631′ N, 78° 34.597′ W. Marker is in Penfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Hoovertown Road (Pennsylvania Route 153) 0.1 miles north of Bennetts Valley Highway (Pennsylvania Route 255), on the right when traveling north.
Photo: submitted on August 15, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



georos

 

Inscription: Noted band composer (1881-1955) lived most of his life in Penfield and was church organist here. Rosenkrans wrote piano and organ music and hymns, as well as over 200 band numbers. Among his marches are "Triumphant Battalions" and "Our Glorious Flag."
Location. 41° 12.624′ N, 78° 34.318′ W. Marker is in Penfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Bennetts Valley Highway (Pennsylvania Route 255) 0.2 miles north of State Park Road (Pennsylvania Route 153), on the right when traveling north. Located at Penfield United Methodist Church.
Photo: submitted on May 31, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



phiblis

 

Inscription: The great singing evangelist and gospel song writer was born July 9, 1838, in a log house which stood a little distance from here. He lived and worked on the farm and in nearby lumber camps until the age of 16.
Location. 41° 12.723′ N, 78° 34.144′ W. Marker is in Penfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Bennetts Valley Highway (Pennsylvania Route 255) 0.4 miles north of State Park Road (Pennsylvania Route 153), on the right when traveling north.
Photo: submitted on May 31, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



snoparpike

 

Inscription: This turnpike was authorized by the Assembly in 1828. It left the Lake Erie Pike at Black Moshannon, then on to Allport, Kylerville (Bigler) and to Clearfield Town. Built to establish postal service to Clearfield as the County seat. From Clearfield it ascended the Rockton Mtn., passed through Rockton Mills and connected back with the Erie Pike at Luthersburg.
Location. 41° 4.612′ N, 78° 36.288′ W. Marker is in Rockton, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Rockton Mountain Highway (U.S. 322) and Spruce Hill Road, on the right when traveling west on Rockton Mountain Highway.
Photo:submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



wilnevtaver

 

Inscription: Nevling's Keystone Inn (c1849-1890s) is located on the old Wilderness Trail between Tyrone and Grampian. In May 1861 Col. Irvin passed by here with the Bucktails enroute to Tyrone during the Civil War. This was the last stage route in the county c1906. Nearby Janesville is named for Jane Nevling. Smith's Mill P.O., est. 1826, was named for an early settler and gristmill owner Amasa Smith.
Location. 40° 45.564′ N, 78° 26.179′ W. Marker is near Smithmill, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Veterans Street (Pennsylvania Route 729) and Plank Road, on the right when traveling east on Veterans Street.
Photo: submitted on September 3, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



bogtown

 

Inscription: Residents' names when the township formed in 1838 included: Adams, Beers, Benehoofs, Bushes, Gearharts, Gosses, Grays, Haneys, Hesses, Hummels, Kepharts, Litzes, Lumadues, Millers, Peters, Shaws, Shimmels, Smeals, Stones, Turners, Williams, Wilsons and Wisors. Built along the 1796 State Road that followed the Indian path, the Salem Church (1848) and the Waple log house are among the county's oldest structures.
Location. 40° 57.688′ N, 78° 19.13′ W. Marker is near West Decatur, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is on Salem Road 0.1 miles north of Promiseland Road, on the right when traveling south.
Photo: submitted on April 29, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



wood

 

Inscription: The first major commercial brick-works in the county (Woodland Fire Brick, 1870, and Hope Fire Brick, 1872) were located here and consolidated into Woodland Fire Brick Co. Ltd. in 1875. In 1884 it was sold to Harbison & Walker Co. of Pittsburgh, which eventually had seven brickyards in Clearfield County; the one in Clearfield (1899-1983) was at one time the largest in the world.
Location. 40° 59.766′ N, 78° 20.801′ W. Marker is in Woodland, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of SR 1012 and Shawville Highway, on the right when traveling north on SR 1012.
Photo: submitted on April 29, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



usgen          palogo          USGenWeb Archives          PA USGenWeb Archives

 

 



 
PAGENWeb State Coordinator
Nancy Janyszeki

 
PAGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator
(Eastern Counties)
Mary Ann Lubinsky

 
County Coordinator
Linda J. East


Assistant County Coordinator
Rachel Jones


 
Thank you to ...
Cathy Young Ball, 1997 - 2000
Alice Gayley, 2001 - 2008
Ellis Michaels, 2008 - 2018

usflagAll copyright laws are observed to the best of our ability. However if you feel something is on the site and infringes on copyright laws let us know. Use of information is for Personal Genealogical purposes only. Commercial publication of any such information is prohibited. All text and images are copyright by said contributors.
Copyright PAGenWeb - Clearfield County © 2021

This page was last updated 02 Jan 2021